It is a fact that going on a diet is much more complicated for a person with a sweet tooth, why is it so difficult for us to have to say no? to sweet? “Lack of sleep, stress, very restrictive diets or simply the pleasure we experience when eating sweet food can be some of the reasons. of that uncontrollable craving,” says Yolanda Masa, nutritionist at Blua de Sanitas, who also explains that “when we do not sleep well or are subjected to periods of stress, our hormonal system is altered, increasing cortisol levels and decreasing blood pressure.
In this way we generate a greater feeling of hunger and can lead to a greater desire for sweets.”
The pleasant sensations caused by sugar
And, as the Nutrition expert explains to us, normally, when we eat foods rich in sugars we generate pleasure, since a “reward” system is activated in our brain thanks to dopamine and serotonin. “Dopamine is associated with pleasurable sensations, and allows sugar to act like a “drug” in our body.
The more sugar you consume, the greater your need for it. Serotonin is responsible for regulating mood and well-being. When serotonin levels are low, they are associated with sadness and irritability, and this can lead to a greater appetite for foods rich in sugar as we mentioned above, since we tend to ‘reward ourselves’ “In these situations, we look for pleasure and well-being in this type of food,” she explains.
Look for options with sugar substitutes
The key is, therefore, to look for healthier options that use, for example, sugar substitutes. “We must look for healthy alternatives that provide us with sugar that is naturally present in the food and does not come from added refined sugar. I recommend trying to make homemade sweets, where making small changes will result in much healthier sweets with a much lower sugar load,” the Sanitas expert tells us, who also gives some useful tips:
- Replace white sugar with fruits and/or vegetables such as banana, dates, coconut, pumpkin, carrot…
- Replace white flour with whole wheat flour, richer in micronutrients and fiber.
- Replace saturated fats with olive oil or avocado (the latter especially for sweets with a mousse-type texture).
- If the recipe includes chocolate, always use pure chocolate and check the label to see if it contains added sugars.
Sweet Picks That Won’t Ruin Your Goals
When it comes to sweets, we’ve got some A+ choices that won’t throw your weight loss plans off track:
- Dark Chocolate: It’s like a sweet victory wrapped in antioxidants.
- Fruit-based Desserts: Nature’s candy – sweet, juicy, and packed with nutrients.
- Greek Yogurt with a Twist: Add honey or fruits for a creamy, guilt-free dessert.
- Homemade Healthier Baked Goods: Because baking your treats equals total control.
- Low-Sugar Frozen Yogurt and Sorbet: Cool, refreshing, and lighter on the calorie count.
- Protein Bars and Chia Seed Pudding: Satisfy cravings while keeping it healthy and delicious.
How can I have sweets and stay skinny?
Feeling the crunch between satisfying your sweet tooth and maintaining weight? We’ve got your back!
- Portion Patrol: It’s all about the size, folks! Small servings, big satisfaction.
- Smart Choices & Mindful Munching: Pick healthier options and enjoy them slowly.
- Treat-Planning Savvy: A sweet strategy keeps those cravings in check.
- Balanced Diet Superheroes: Load up on nutrient-rich foods to balance the scale.
- Stay Hydrated, Limit Sweet Time: Water helps curb cravings, and moderation is key.
- Move That Body: Exercise doesn’t just burn calories; it fuels your sweet indulgences.
- Self-Compassion, Always: Slip-ups happen; it’s how we bounce back that matters.
Low-Calorie Sweet Alternatives:
When you’re craving sweetness without the calorie overload, turn to these champions:
- Fresh Fruits: Crunchy, juicy, and packed with natural sweetness.
- Greek Yogurt & Dark Chocolate: Creamy goodness and a hint of cocoa magic.
- DIY Smoothies & Sugar-Free Treats: Blend and freeze your way to healthier delights.
- Dried Fruits & Homemade Granola: Snack time, upgraded!
- Nut Butter & Fruit Sorbet: Spreading joy and chilling out, the low-cal way.
So is it possible to lose weight and consume sugar?
It is common to demonize some foods when time to lose weight. This happened with fats a few decades ago and with sugars in recent times, but the reality is that you can eat everything in moderation.
Yes, a tablespoon of sugar will be less filling than half a plate of vegetables and will contain the same amount of calories, but that doesn’t mean you should give up sucrose forever.
Can I eat toffee during weight loss?
Who doesn’t love a sticky, sweet toffee? While enjoying it during weight loss might be tricky, here’s how to handle it like a pro:
- Size Matters: Break that toffee into tiny bits or pick smaller versions.
- Calorie Counting: Keep an eye on those sneaky calories and adjust your intake.
- Healthier Toffee Options: Look for reduced sugar or healthier alternatives.
- Balancing Act: Offset the toffee sweetness with nutritious food choices.
- Move and Hydrate: Physical activity and water help keep that toffee in check.
What can I replace sweets with?
Ditching traditional sweets doesn’t mean saying goodbye to flavors. Try these swaps:
- Fruits, Yogurt & Smoothies: Sweetness straight from nature’s basket.
- Dark Chocolate & Nut Butter: Your palate’s dream team for indulgence.
- DIY Trail Mix & Chia Seed Pudding: Snack attack, solved!
What happens when you don’t have sugar for 2 weeks?
Guess what happens after two weeks of cutting back on sugar? Loads of awesome things!
- Energy Highways: Say hello to consistent energy levels without the sugar rollercoaster.
- Craving Curb Alert: Fewer cravings, more control – it’s like sweet freedom.
- Winning Health Bonanza: Healthier teeth, clearer skin, happier heart – sweet wins all around!
- Taste Sensitivity Upgrade: Your taste buds appreciate the natural sweetness of foods more.
- Reduced Heart Risk Factors: Reducing sugar intake can improve heart health markers such as heart attack and stroke risk factors.
Wrapping Up: Balancing Sweets and Success
To enjoy your favorite pleasures while pursuing your weight loss objectives, remember, lovely friends, that finding balance is essential. It’s about adopting moderation, moving that body, and making wiser decisions. And why not have a conversation with an expert if you need a little more direction? A nutritionist or a healthcare expert can be your wonderful friends in success.
Therefore, indulge in your favorite foods while maintaining a balanced and sweet diet. After all, life is all about finding the ideal flavor combination!
I’ll see you in the lovely lane! 💭